Some of my favorite things to do with banana bread are making terrific PB&J's, toast, and having as a side with my salad. It is also great for a quick snack - slice and go. Banana bread also freezes well. Just wrap it up in plastic wrap and place in a freezer zip loc bag. When you are ready to use, just thaw and enjoy.
Gingery Banana Nut Bread
3 overripe bananas
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3-cup ground golden flax seed
1-teaspoon baking soda
1/2-teaspoon ground ginger
8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5x2 ½ inch loaf pan. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher until smooth. Add sugar to the mashed bananas and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, add the flour, flax seed, baking soda, salt and ginger. Gently whisk the ingredients together. Set aside.
5. In a medium bowl beat together the eggs, butter, and vanilla extract until incorporated.
6. Add the egg mixture to the banana mixture. Stir well.
7. Add the banana and egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the mixtures are incorporated. Fold in the pecans.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out relatively clean.
9. Cool bread in pan for 15 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf