These nuts are easy to make. You boil the syrup for five minutes, toss the nuts with the syrup, and bake for one hour stirring every 15 minutes. Sprinkle with some sugar, let them cool, and you have a tasty nibble.
Orange Maple Candied Pecans
3 cups pecan halves
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons grated orange zest (zest from one medium orange)
3 tablespoons orange juice
½ cup sugar - divided
½ cup maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Spray lightly with cooking spray a 9x13 inch-baking pan. Place the pecans in the pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the orange zest, orange juice ¼ cup of sugar, and maple syrup to the melted butter. Stir until mixed.
4.Bring the syrup mixture to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly.
5. Boil mixture for 5 minutes. Do not stir. Gently swish the syrup half way through cooking.
6. Pour the syrup over the nuts stirring constantly to evenly coat the nuts. Arrange the nuts in a single layer in the pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees stirring every 15 minutes.
8. Lightly spray a cookie sheet. Set aside.
9. Remove the nuts from the oven. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of sugar over the nuts. DO NOT STIR.
10. Transfer nuts with a large spoon to the prepared cookie sheet. Separate into individual nuts with 2 forks. Cool for 1 hour.
11. Store in an airtight container.
Make 3 cups
|Ready for Oven - 5 minutes|
|Ready for Oven After Syrup Has Been Poured and Nuts Tossed|
|Out of Oven - Ready for Last Sugar Coating|
|Last Sugar Coating|
|On Cookie Sheet Cooling|
|Orange Maple Candied Pecans|