I love to have scones with my tea. I especially like the creamy delicate texture of these scones. The flavor is very subtle. A hot cup of Earl Grey Tea complements the scones nicely.
Creamy Strawberry Lavender Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3cup sugar less ½ teaspoon if baking at high altitude
1-tablespoon baking powder (less 1/8 teaspoon if baking at high altitude)
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
2/3-cup heavy cream (an additional 1 tablespoons needed for high altitude)
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 teaspoon dried culinary Lavender
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Grate the butter into the flour mixture. With your hands incorporate the butter in to the flour mixture. You will have different shapes of butter, some will be pea sized others cornflake size.
2. In a food processor finely chop the sliced strawberries. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, beat together the egg and the cream.
4. Add the egg mixture, fresh chopped strawberries, and lavender to the flour mixture. With a fork, combine until evenly moistened. The dough will be wet and sticky.
5. Drop the dough by ¼ cup onto the parchment paper. Drop the scones 2-inches apart. Note: You may need to lightly flour the cup and your hands to prevent the dough from sticking. .
6. Bake in a 350-degree oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes approximately 9 scones.