The ingredients haven't changed all that much in this recipe. I have omitted the pimentos and used mushrooms, added a little of this and that to the seasoning, used a little cream instead of milk, and added some white cooking wine. Not only do I serve my turkey a la king over toast, I also serve it over noodles, rice, and biscuit halves.
A La King meals are a tasty way to use up leftovers and are great for catch up days. Catch up days are when I cook meals that are relatively inexpensive. Best of all it is quick and easy to make.
Turkey A La King
¼ cup unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons
2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1-teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
¼ cup white cooking wine
2 cups diced turkey breast cooked
½ cup heavy cream
Snipped chives for garnish (optional)
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add mushrooms and sauté. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Melt the remaining butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the flour to the melted butter and stir. Cook for 1 minute. Add the dried parsley flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, ground black pepper, and chili powder to the flour mixture. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
4. Whisk in the chicken broth and white cooking wine. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
5.Add the diced chicken and mushrooms to the sauce. Stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in the cream and heat through.
7. Serve over noodles, rice or split biscuits. Garnish with snipped chives, if desired.
|Turkey A La King|