Today, I made Black Forest Waffles. If you are a fan of Black Forest Cake, you are going to like these waffles. They get their rich chocolate flavor from the cocoa powder and semi sweet chocolate chips. The dried cherries add a nice sweet tart flavor to the waffles. Before serving, I garnish the waffles with confectioner's sugar, maple syrup and whipped cream.
Black Forest Waffles
Special Equipment: Waffle Iron
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1-teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon chili powder
3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup melted unsalted butter, cooled
1-teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped dried cherries
1. Preheat the waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
2. Whisk together in a medium mixing bowl, the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and chili powder.
3. Beat together in another mixing bowl the eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Add the buttermilk and beat until combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and dried cherries.
6. Rest the batter for 5 minutes.
7. Ladle the manufacturer’s recommend amount of batter onto the center of the iron. Close the iron top and cook until the waffle is crispy and easily removed from the iron. Repeat with remaining batter.
8. Serve immediately with confectioner’s sugar, maple syrup, and whipped cream.
Note: You can keep the waffles warm in a 200-degree oven (F) until ready to serve.
Makes approximately 9 (7-inch) round waffles