Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Cheese-Topped Onion Soup



If French Onion soup is on the menu, I usually order it.  It is one of my favorite soups.  So, I was excited when I  read we were going to make Cheese - Topped Onion Soup this week  for  French Friday's With Dorie.
You start with lots and lots of onions which you cook until they are a deep caramel color.  It stated in the directions you needed to be patient - it could take more than an hour or more for the onions to caramelize. Dorie wasn't kidding that you needed patience.  It seemed like it took forever for my onions to get a nice caramel color.  In the end they did, and I am glad I had the patience to see it through.  The onions were then simmered in chicken broth and white wine.  The soup was ladled into oven proof bowls, topped with toasted bread and cheese then under the broiler it went.   Out came a bowl of bubbly goodness.  This recipe can be found on pages 56-57 in "Around My French Table."





5 comments:

  1. That looks simply divine! I am preparing it today- will be sure & start those onions early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tasty recipe:-) How did you like the recipe?

      Delete
  2. I loved French soups, but I particularly love the little dollop of cheese on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The melted cheese is my favorite part. Have a good day:)

      Delete
  3. Everyone who made this soup said how long it took to cook the onions! I think when I make mine, I will cook my onions on a higher heat. Your soup looks fantastic...love the melted cheese on top...my favorite part, too!

    ReplyDelete