Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lenny's Meatloaf

Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes
When I told my family I was making meatloaf for dinner I heard a lot of groaning.  Meatloaf isn't one of their favorites.  I told them I was trying a new recipe and from everything I read, it was very good.  Becky, was glad to hear I wasn't making my old recipe and maybe, just maybe she would give it a try.
Undaunted, I proceeded to make the recipe.  It was one I have been wanting to try for a long time.
You need to allow yourself at least 2 hours to prepare and bake the meatloaf.  Start by sauteing  finely diced onions, carrots, celery, garlic and peppers together.  The veggie mixture cools for at least  an hour.  I cooked mine the day before and  removed them from the fridge when I was ready to use them.    In a large mixing bowl you mix well the ground beef, ground pork, veggie mixture, spices, bread crumbs, ketchup, and half and half.   You shape the mixture into a large loaf and bake for 1 hour.  Remove from oven and let the meat loaf cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
As the meatloaf is baking it has a wonderful aroma.   Even my picky eater daughter wanted to know what smelled soo good.  I told her it was my meatloaf.  To which she responded she MAY give it a try.
After the meatloaf cooled for 20 minutes, the taste test began.  In my opinion, it was the best meatloaf I ever tasted - so moist and flavorful.   Three out of the four kids ate it and the ratings ranged from ok to very good:)  Not too bad.  This recipe is a keeper in my book.

Lenny's Meatloaf
From  Epicurious

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
Freshly Chopped Veggies
3/4 cup each finely chopped onion and scallion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 pounds lean ground beef chuck
12 ounces ground sausage
3/4 cup fine fresh bread crumbs, toasted

Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, then add the onion, scallion, carrots, celery bell peppers and garlic.  Cook, stirring often, until the moisture from the vegetables has evaporated, about 10 minutes.  Set aside to cool; then cover and refrigerated until chilled, at least 1 hour.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, ketchup, half-and-half, cumin, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper.  Add the ground beef, sausage and bread crumbs.  Then add the chilled vegetables and mix thoroughly with your hands, kneading for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Form the mixture into a loaf, approximately 12x5x2 1/2 inches, on a baking sheet.  Bake until cooked through (or 160 degress F on a meat thermometer), about 1 hour.  Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.

Makes 8 servings

Loaf 12x5x2 1/2 inches




Slice of Lenny's Meatloaf


5 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love meatloaf, too, Geri...but my youngest would also groan when he heard I was making it for dinner :) So I must make a loaf while he's away at college and I love the idea of adding some sausage, veggies and half and half! This recipe is a keeper~

    ReplyDelete
  3. My whole family loves meatloaf, and sometimes we can't get enough of it. I have never really made one for them. Looks like it's time for me to plan some menu for some weekend cookout session. Thanks for your support Geri and hope all is well with you too. Happy cooking and baking! Huggss, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves meatloaf! This looks really moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete