Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Baked Apples Filled With Fruits and Nuts


Baked Apples Filled With Fruits and Nuts


This week in French Fridays With Dorie  we made Baked Apples.  Baked Apples are a very simple, yet delicious dessert.   Apples are cored, peeled  half way, and a thin cut is made around the tummy.  This keeps them from bursting.  The apples are then stuffed with a mixture of dried fruits and nuts that have been tossed with honey, a pinch of fleur de sel (if you like) and a pinch of cinnamon( if you choose).  I chose dried apricots, Craisins, and pineapple for my apple stuffing with some chopped pecans.  You can use dried fruits of your choosing.  The apples are then dotted with butter, put in a baking dish with apple juice, butter, and the reserved apple peels.  They are baked for about 75 minutes or until they are spoon tender.    I served my Baked Apples with a scoop of Snickerdoodle Ice Cream.


These baked apples were yummy. Their flesh was tender but not mushy.  I will be making these again.
You can find this recipe on pages 394-395 in "Around My French Table."



























21 comments:

  1. These really were quite good…glad you enjoyed them! I served mine with ice cream too! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what kind of ice cream this was...snickerdoodle sounds like the perfect pairing with these baked apples! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yours turned out wonderful looking. And, I like the sound of that snickerdoodle ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snickerdoodle ice cream? Wow that would be so good! Sorry, were there apples here too? They look terrific! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ice cream sounds delicious. I probably would have liked that better than the apples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great flavours! Love those baked apples.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh snickerdoodle ice cream, yum!
    I don't care how cold it is outside, there is always a place at my table for a scoop of ice cream (a hot baked apple on the side would not go remiss either...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that photo looks wonderful with a side of ice cream. I am glad you liked the recipe. I am looking forward to the Paris/Brest dessert, and hopefully
    I can do a good job. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your apples look really good Geri! Snickerdoodle ice cream sounds like something I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant to serve with a cinnamon ice cream on the side. Was it homemade? I had it plain because I ate it cold for breakfast.(Poor planning this week.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I did not make the ice cream. I ran down to the grocery store and bought some.

      Delete
  11. I like your filling choices. And Snickerdoodle ice cream - where has that been all my life?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snickerdoodle ice cream ?? Yes, please. These cookies are my older son's favorite and I make them from Lee Bailey's recipe all the time. I had no idea that there was an ice cream flavored as such and will now need to go on the hunt !! Great job on those yummy apples.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great apple/ice cream pairing! Now I feel like baking snicker doodles :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, you've got me in the cinnamon baking mood (Sunday late afternoon). Might have to fire up another batch of apples! Glad you enjoyed. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snickerdoodle Ice Cream??? I never heard of it but will be on the look-out for it. Most of the Doristas liked the recipe choice this week, Geraldine, and I also will be making it again. I think you combo of dried fruit was the most unique, I will admit that. Nice job. You have a very pretty and well-designed Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like these turned out really well! I liked these too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummo - pineapples and snickerdoodle icecream - I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snickerdoodle ice cream? really? you know how to pair your food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks wonderful with the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved these, I forgot how much I enjoy the simplicity and ease of baked apples. Yours a quite attractive!

    ReplyDelete