Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Baby Bok Choy, Sugar Snaps, and Garlic En Papillote


This week our assignment in French Fridays with Dorie was veggies cooked in foil packets.  My eldest son would refer to this as a foil meal - Boy Scouts.  Anyway back to these wonderful veggies.  As the recipe title states baby bok choy, sugar snap  peas, garlic and some baby onions are tossed with some olive oil,  orange zest,  seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked en papillote for  15 minutes.    I omitted the mint sprigs - the family isn't that fond of mint on their veggies.

The result:  A delicious packet of veggies that are cooked to perfection and extremely delicious.   I love the way Dorie can make vegetables taste wonderful with just a few simple ingredients.  You can serve the veggies in their packet or serve them in a shallow bowl.  

This recipe can be found on page 348 in "Around My French Table."




13 comments:

  1. So glad your family enjoyed these! Beautiful, Geri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved mint on peas but this was the first time I had it on any other veggie and I liked it a lot. When I was a boy scout we learned this cooking. lol. Things never turned out then as nice as they do now though. Camp fires never seemed to get constantly hot enough I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the simplicity of this side dish. It looks very fresh and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geraldine, glad you enjoyed these. I left the mint out too - not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Dorie does remind us how tasty simple can be. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious, Geraldine. I'd be iffy about the mint too. Marion isn't fond of it either but the veggies enveloped with garlic sounds sooooooo good! Today, April 19th, just happens to be National Garlic Day too:) Thanks for sharing, Geraldine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, Dorie can still surprise me with these simple wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dish turned out beautifully! I used the mint, but wished I'd amped up some of the flavors. Nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a simple and delicious side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Boy Scout just made hamburgers with all their toppings in foil on his last trip. It didn't sound appetizing to me, but he said, "Hey, what can you do when you don't have a grill?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geraldine, you prepared absolutely perfect looking steamed vegetables! Just wonderful!

    Have a very happy Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice foil meals! If the Boy Scouts made these, they could earn a Gourmet badge. This is much more elegant. I didn't care for the mint either, though I did use it.

    ReplyDelete