I start by marinating some beef sirloin in a marinade that has some garlic, paprika, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil. This marinade recipe is from Alton Brown. Usually, I marinate the meat for about 4 hours. However, longer doesn't hurt. After the meat has marinated, I thread the meat on some metal skewers with a variety of veggies - bell pepper, some pearl onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, or just meat on the skewer. Some family members are not that fond of veggies. I leave space between the the pieces of meat and veggies so everything cooks.
The grill is preheated to medium-high heat. I place the skewers on the grill, and cook about 3 minutes on each side for a total of about 9-12 minutes total cooking time. Remove from heat and serve.
Dinner is ready. I usually serve the Kebabs on a bed of Jasmine rice. Delicious, quick and easy.
From Alton Brown (Marinade)
Special Equipment: 6 Metal Skewers
1.5 to 2 pound boneless beef sirloin
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Cut the beef into 1 1/2 to 1 3/4-inch cubes and place into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor combine the garlic, paprika, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar. With the processor running drizzle in the olive oil.
3. Pour the marinade over the meat and toss to coat. Place in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag and allow to marinate for 2 to 4 hours or longer.
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread the meat and veggies of your choice onto the skewers leaving about 1/2-inch in between the pieces of meat and veggies. Place on the grill and cook, with lid lowered about 3 minutes per side, 9-12 minutes total cooking time.
5. Remove Kebabs from grill and let rest 3 minutes. Serve.
Makes 6 servings