Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Quiche Maraichere

Quiche Maraichere
Today our assignment in French Friday's With Dorie  was quiche.   I love quiche.  This quiche is different than what I am used to.  My experience with quiche has been more custard than veggies, meat,  and cheese.  This quiche is the opposite -  much more veggies than custard.  The cheese is a scant 2/3 cup.  I am used to putting at least a cup and a half - I love my cheese.


Veggies in Crust

As I mentioned earlier - this quiche is loaded with veggies - leeks, carrots,  a red bell pepper,
and celery.  The veggies are cooked in some butter before they are put in a partially baked tart shell.  The custard is made with an egg, egg yolk, and cream.  The custard  is poured over the vegetable mixture.  Bake the quiche for   about 20 minutes than sprinkle the cheese on top.  Bake for about another 5 to ten minutes.  Cool till the quiche is warm and serve.

Custard Poured Over Veggies

I enjoyed this quiche.  The family was not impressed.  Oh well, I will be enjoying this for my lunch during the week.

This recipe can be found on page 158 in "Around My French Table."

19 comments:

  1. Oh, Geraldine, do you think if you added something from the bacon family or crabmeat (like Kathy did) or a little something more substantial that your family might move this recipe to a thumbs up. I really enjoyed it just as Dorie wrote it although I added more cheese. Like you, I love my cheese. I'm glad you, at least, enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the family... I was surprised that mine liked it... it is very light for a quiche. Expectations can get in the way of enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time Mary, I am going to do as you suggest and add some bacon, ham, or some crab. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the raves from my family that turned ME around on this one. Sorry yours didn't like it but as you said, more for you. I wish I'd made more for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed this for your lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that's usually the response from my family! I liked the high veggie to custard ratio, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this! And the veggies such a festive presentation -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I expected my hubby to turn his nose up at this, but he really loved it! We both did! Your quiche looks lovely. Not a bad lunch to enjoy all week by yourself! Happy weekend, Geri!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would totally devour this savoury pie! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love cheese, but I love sneaking in veggies into this savory tart even better. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making quiche too. This was a good one, a seemingly ordinary set of vegetables that was something special. Glad to hear you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry your family wasn't crazy about it but that just means more for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Geraldine!
    I really think a good quiche can not be beat! This one sounds packed with goodness but not much cheese. Very interesting. I sure wish I could sample a piece right now! Thanks for sharing, Geraldine...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geraldine, I really like the look of your colorful and cheesy Market Quiche - absolutely delightful. Well, if the family doesn´t enjoy it that much, all the more for you - it is a good thing that it keeps well for a few days.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my cheese too. (and I am pretty sure I used more than 2/3 cup :-) )
    Your quiche looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks FAB! Somehow or other, this did not make it to my DH's plate at and I enjoyed every slice of it all by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am sorry the family didn't like it! Next time more bacon!!! But it does look so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was my lunch for three days. Definitely a repeat. Maybe with bacon......

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's always something to be said for a recipe that you can keep to yourself! Too bad they didn't like it, though. We enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete