Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Vegetable Barley Soup With The Taste of Little India

Vegetable Barley Soup With The Taste of Little India
Our assignment for "French Fridays With Dorie" was making the delicious Vegetable Barley Soup With The Taste of Little India.  I am glad I finally got around to making this soup.  It was simply and delicious.  I was also introduced to the wonderful flavor of Garam Masala.  A blend of cardamom, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, and other somewhat sweet spices.

Carrots, onions, a parsnip, garlic and fresh ginger are cooked in some olive oil.  They are then sprinkled with salt, pepper, turmeric, Garam masala, and red pepper flakes.  Cook for about 15 minutes and then add some broth.  You bring the soup to a boil and add some barley.  The soup is simmered until the barley is cooked.  Taste the soup and re season if necessary.



I made this soup for dinner and it was enjoyed by everyone.  The barley and the veggies soaked up the flavoring of the spices and they were delicious.  I will definitely be making this soup again.

This recipe can be found on page 89 in "Around My French Table."





3 comments:

  1. That's a bowl of deliciousness and comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this soup! It looks wonderful! I found it to be quite good…my husband not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing. I like your Indian twist to it.

    ReplyDelete