|Southwestern Chicken and Rice Casserole|
This casserole is a chicken and rice dish with a southwestern flavor to it. It is not spicy hot but it does have a little kick to it. You can make it spicier by adding more chili powder. This is a great dish to make on busy days.
This casserole is made with diced chicken, rice, tomatoes with green chilies, beans, spices and a sauce made from flour, butter, milk, chicken broth, and seasonings. The sauce is mixed in with the other ingredients and poured into a casserole dish. Bake for about 25 minutes, sprinkle with some shredded Mexican cheese, and bake another 5-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Let the casserole cool for about 10 minutes. Serve and garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and diced tomatoes.
Southwest Chicken and Rice Casserole
2 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15.25 ounce can) corn, drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies*
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1cup shredded Mexican cheese
Diced fresh tomatoes
* Diced tomatoes can be substituted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Place the rice, chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, parsley, cumin, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, and chili powders in a large bowl. Stir to mix well.
3. Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour until blended and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in milk slowly followed by the chicken broth. Add salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened. Stir the sauce into the chicken and rice mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the casserole. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbly.
5. Remove from oven and let the casserole rest for 10 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and diced tomatoes.
Makes 6 servings