Pasta e Fagioli Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces pancetta, chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1 rib of celery, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 large cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
1 (15- ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1(15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
Rind of Parmesan cheese - optional
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup dry Ditalini pasta
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a Dutch oven heat the oil and add the pancetta.
2. Brown the pancetta and then add the onion, carrots, celery, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the celery and cook until fragrant. Next place the chicken broth, tomato sauce, both types of beans, pepper, Italian seasoning bay leaf and rind of Parmesan cheese if using. Stir well, cover and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the pasta and cook until pasta is cooked.
5. Remove the Parmesan cheese rind. Taste and season if necessary and ladle soup into the bowls. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.