When choosing tomatillos for this salsa, they should be firm and bright green
1-1/2 pounds tomatillos
½ cup chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
¼ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
2 Jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeds removed, and cut into chunks
Salt to taste
1. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Remove husks from tomatillos. Wash under cold water.
3. Cut the tomatillos in half and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place under a broiler until the skin of the tomatillos is slightly blackened, about 5 minutes.
4. Place the roasted tomatillos, onion, garlic, cilantro leaves, lime juice, sugar, ground cumin, and Jalapeno peppers in a blender. Blend until ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.
5. Season to taste with salt.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with chips or with your favorite Mexican food.
Makes 3 cups
|Inside of a Tomatillo|
|Ready For Roasting|
|Ready to Blend|