The other night, we had a very moist and flavorful roast for dinner cooked in my Instant Pot. I first browned the roast on the sauté setting and sautéed some mushrooms. Deglazed the pan with some red wine and then added some broth and spices to the pot. I placed the roast in the pot and scatted the mushroom, potatoes and carrots over the roast. Locked the top and cooked for 50 minutes. I let the pot do a natural release for about 20 minutes then unlocked the lid very carefully.
I placed the roast on a platter with the veggies and covered loosely with foil. I added some cornstarch and water the the juices in the pot to thicken up the natural sauce a bit. I served the sauce with the beef.
Special Equipment: Instant Pot
1 (2 1/2 - 3) pound beef eye of round roast
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
1/3 cup red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 carrots cut in chunks
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 tablespoons water
1. Mix the kosher salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Pat the roast dry and rub the salt and pepper mixture over the roast. Set aside.
2. Set the Instant Pot on the Saute setting. Add one tablespoon olive oil to the pot. When hot brown the roast on all sides. When brown remove the roast to a platter.
3. Add the remaining oil - 2 tablespoons to the pot. Sauté the mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms to the platter with the beef.
4. Deglaze the pot with the red wine. Add the broth, onion powder, thyme, parsley flakes, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir well. Add the roast, mushrooms, potatoes, and carrots.
5. Lock the lid on the Instant Pot. Be sure the valve is set to the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 50 minutes.
6. Naturally release the pressure for 25 minutes. Move the valve to the venting position to release remaining pressure. Open the lid carefully.
7. Remove the roast and vegetables to a platter. Cover with foil. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting.
8. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and the water. Stir well. Add to the the Instant Pot and stir. Continue cooking until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Taste and season if necessary.
9. Slice the roast crosswise and serve with gravy and the vegetables.
Makes 6 servings