Thursday, June 8, 2017
I found this recipe in a favorite Italian Cookbook - Italian Family Cooking Like Mama Used to Make by Anne Casale. A great cookbook loaded with lots of fantastic and easy to follow recipes.
1 1/2 pounds asparagus
1 pound zucchini
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound gemelli (twists)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 cup chicken broth, heated
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
Freshly grated Parmigiano cheese for serving
1. Wash asparagus several times in lukewarm water to remove sand. Refresh in cold water, drain well in a strainer and blot dry with paper towel. Slice off tough ends. If asparagus are thin they will not have to be peeled; if larger, peel lower portion with a vegetable peeler. Slice diagonally into 1-inch lengths and place tips in a separate bowl.
2. Scrub zucchini and blot dry with paper towel. Trim both ends and cut into 2-inch lengths. Slice each piece into 1/2-inch strips.
3. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until haze forms, then add 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in garlic and saute until lightly golden; discard with a slotted spoon. Add scallions and cook until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add the bottoms of the asparagus and cook until barely tender when tested with a fork, about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, stirring constantly with spoon until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus tips, l teaspoon salt and pepper; continue stirring and cook until tips are barely tender when tested with fork, about 2 minutes (do not over cook tips or they will fall apart when tossed with pasta).
4. While you are cooking vegetables, cook pasta in 6 quarts boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander, transfer to a bowl containing 1 tablespoon softened butter and toss quickly.
5. Mix half of the vegetables, heated broth and Parmigiana cheese with pasta; toss well. Spoon remaining vegetable mixture on top and serve with additional fresh grated Parmigiana cheese.
Serves 4 - Main course
Serves 6 - First course