I make your standard soups most of the time -Chicken Noodle, Split Pea and Ham, Beef and Barley soup, and Potato Soup just to mention a few.
I thought I would be adventurous and experiment with a new soup. My experiment choice wasPasta e Fagioli soup. Try it and let me know what you think.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces pancetta, chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped carrots
1 rib of celery finely chopped
2 large cloves of garlic minced
½ teaspoon pepper
11/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
11/2 quarts chicken broth
1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
1-15 ounce can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1-15 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
Grated Pecorino Romano
1. In a large pot heat the oil and add the pancetta
2. Brown the pancetta, and then add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper , Italian seasoning and bay leaf.
3.Cook for 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, kidney beans and red pepper flakes to the vegetables. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat, cover and cook soup for 10 minutes. Add the ditalini. Cover and cook until the pasta is cooked al dente. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Remove soup from the heat. Let the soup rest and cool for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the bay leaf, ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese.