The funny thing is I usually make this dessert around the holiday time. But it is so yummy, versatile, and easy to make you can make it anytime. If you are not a fan of pistachio pudding, use your favorite pudding. Same goes for the nuts, use your favorite.
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese – cut into 1 - inch chunks
2/3 cup powdered sugar sifted
1 (8-ounce) carton Cool Whip - divided
2- (3.4-ounce) boxes pistachio instant pudding and pie filling
2-1/2 cups cold milk
¼ cup coarsely chopped pistachios
1.Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly butter the bottom of a 9x13 inch-baking dish.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and pistachios.
4. Grate the butter into the flour mixture. With fingertips work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles cornflakes. This makes the crust.
5. Spoon the flour mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan and press into the pan.
6. Bake the crust for 10 minutes or until edges start turning a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
7. In a large mixing bowl add the cream cheese. Beat the cream cheese and gradually add the sifted powdered sugar. Beat until the sugar and the cream cheese are incorporated. Add half of the carton of Cool Whip and beat for another minute or until the Cool Whip is blended into the cream cheese mixture.
8. Spread the mixture over the crust.
9. In a medium-mixing bowl add the pistachio pudding and cold milk. Beat for two minutes with a whisk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
10. Spread the pudding mixture over the cream cheese layer.
11. Spread the remaining Cool Whip over the pudding layer and sprinkle pistachios over the Cool Whip.
12. Cover and refrigerate for 2 or more hours. Serve chilled.
Makes 12 servings
|Grating Butter Into Flour Mixture|
|Butter Incorporated Into Flour Mixture|
|Cubed Cream Cheese|
|Cream Cheese and Powdered Sugar Incorporated|
|Cream Cheese Mixture Spread Over the Crust|
|Pistachio Pudding Layer|
|Cool Whip Layer|
|Ready for Fridge|