I am baking some ginger cookies. These ginger cookies are drop cookies that have a slightly crisp texture and a wonderful flavor. I've added black pepper to the recipe to enhance the ginger flavor.
Try baking some of these cookies. Who knows, they may become part of your holiday baking tradition.
2-1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup butter melted
¼ cup molasses
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
¼ cup sugar
1. In a medium-mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ground black pepper. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and butter together until well blended. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Add molasses and beat until well mixed.
3. By heaping spoonfuls, add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture beating slowly.
4. Add the lemon zest to the batter beating slowly. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three hours.
5. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7.Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
8. Bake cookies on the center rack in oven for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are just set.
9. Remove cookies from oven and cool 1 minute before transferring to wire cooling racks.
10. Store the cookies in an airtight container once the cookies have cooled completely.
Makes 2-1/2 dozen.