They have lots and lots of good-for-you ingredients - oats, wheat germ, flax seed, walnuts, yogurt, and fruit. The taste is moist yet chewy, a little crunchy, and of course fruity. These bars are easy and quick to prepare.
Fruit and Yogurt Breakfast Bars
1 cup all purpose-flour
1-cup quick-cooking oats
¼ cup ground flax seed
¼ cup wheat germ
½ cup pumpkin seeds shelled
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1-10 ounce jar of raspberry fruit spread – or your favorite fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch-baking pan. Set side
- In a large mixing bowl combine the first ten ingredients and mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the vegetable oil into the vanilla yogurt until incorporated.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
- Set aside 1-1/2 cups of the dough. Press the remaining dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the fruit spread over the dough.
- Press the reserved dough on top of the fruit spread. Some areas may be uncovered which is fine. Press the dough down gently over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a golden brown.
- Cool completely and cut into 12 bars.
Makes 12 bars.
Make some and enjoy.