One of my very favorite quick and healthy eats is Pasta Primavera. This recipe is loaded with asparagus, yellow squash, and spices. This dish, when served is very colorful, fragrant, and great tasting.
- 2 cups dry multi grain penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-pound asparagus
- 1-pound yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1-tablespoon onion powder
- 1-teaspoon dried basil
- 1-teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 plum tomato seeds removed and diced
- Shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, wash and dry vegetables.
3. Trim ends off the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Cut each half in quarters lengthwise. Cut each strip into half inch pieces. Set aside.
4. Slice off tough ends of asparagus. Cut asparagus into half inch pieces. Reserve tips.
5. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
6. Add asparagus (except the tips) to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender - about 5 minutes.
7. Add the squash and cook until tender – about 3-5 minutes.
8. Add the asparagus tips and cook for another 3 minutes.
9. To the vegetable mixture add the granulated garlic, onion powder, basil, salt, black pepper and vegetable broth. Heat for about 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and toss.
10.Once the pasta is done, drain and toss quickly in a bowl with two tablespoons liquid from the vegetable mixture.
11. Remove the vegetable mixture from the heat. Toss one half of the vegetable mixture with the pasta.
12. Place the remaining vegetable mixture on top of the pasta and serve with the shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese.