Today, I made blue corn pancakes. Blue Corn has a different taste than yellow corn meal. It has a nice sweet taste. In addition, I added some anise seeds which complimented the flavor of the blue corn. I serve the pancakes with maple syrup and butter.
Blue Corn Pancakes
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup blue cornmeal
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1-teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon anise seed
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons butter melted
1 ½ cups milk
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the egg, butter, and milk
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is combined.
- Ladle the pancake batter on a prepared grill*. When bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancake and the griddle-side of the pancake is golden flip. Cook for and additional 2-3 minutes or until pancake is set.
- Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 14- 4-inch diameter pancakes.
*Note: The grill is preheated when sprinkled with a few drops of water it dance across the surface of the grill. Lightly butter the grill and wipe off any excess.