I followed the directions almost to a "T" except I made a syrup of one cup sugar and two cups water instead of mixing the sugar and water. I have better results making a syrup.
Helpful tip from "Our Best Bites": Try to find limes with thin, smooth skins. They are juicier and the thin skin cuts down on the chance of your drink being bitter.
from "Our Best Bites"
4 juicy limes
1 cup sugar
6 cups cold water
6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1. Mix cold water and sugar very well. Chill until ready to use.
Note: This step can be done ahead of time.
2. Wash limes thoroughly with soap. Cut the ends off the limes and then cut each lime into eighths.
3. Place half of the limes in a blender.
4. Add half of the sugar water. Place the top on your blender and pulse 5 times.
5. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a pitcher (the one you will serve the lemonade in) and pour the blended mixture through the strainer and into the pitcher. Use a spoon to press the rest of the liquid into the pitcher.
6. Dump the pulp and stuff in the strainer into the trash.
7. Repeat with the remaining limes and sugar water.
8. Add the sweetened condensed milk. Stir until mixed.
9. Taste and adjust sweetness if needed - add some more sugar or milk.
10. Serve immediately over lots of ice.
Makes 4 servings
|Sugar, Water, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Limes|
|Ends cut-off of the lime|
|Cutting the Lime|
|Cutting the Limes into Eighths|
|Limes in the Blender|
|Straining and Pressing Remaining Liquid|
|Adding Sweetened Condensed Milk|