Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Spaghetti and Meatballs: A Timeless Classic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1-recipe Meatballs (see September 26, 2011 post)
Pasta cooked according to package directions
1. In a large heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for two minutes or until fragrant.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, baking soda, black pepper, dried basil, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, bay leaf, and sugar. Stir well to combine.
3. Bring to a boil. Add the meatballs to the sauce. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours stirring occasionally. For a thicker sauce, remove the lid during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
4. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove Bay Leaf.
4. Serve over cooked pasta of your choice topped with grated cheese.