I have not changed a thing in this recipe all the years I have been making it. To me, it is perfect as is. The little loaves are flavorful and very moist. I cut the loaves in thin slices as serve them with a hot beverage. I often double the recipe to give as Christmas Presents.
Macadamia Nut Bread
"Redbook" December 1980 Betsy Balsley
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained very well
1(9-ounce) jar macadamia nuts, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
1 cup packaged sweetened flaked coconut
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (reduce to 1/4 teaspoon if nuts are salted)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
|Chopped Macadamia Nuts|
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Grease three 5x3 inch loaf pans and line bottoms with wax paper. You can also line the pans with aluminum foil and grease.
3. Mix pineapple, nuts and coconut in a large bowl.
|Pineapple, Nuts, and Coconut|
4. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
5. Pour the flour mixture over the pineapple mixture. Add sugar and mix gently until nuts and fruits are well coated.
|Flour Mixture and Sugar Over Pineapple Mixture|
|Nuts and Fruit Mixed Well|
6. Beat the eggs in a small bowl. When foamy stir in the vanilla extract.
7. Pour the eggs over the nut mixture and stir until well mixed.
|Eggs Poured Over Nut Mixture|
|Batter in Pans|
8. Spoon the batter into the prepared pans.
9. Bake 60-70 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
10. Wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
11. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 3 small loaves.
|Little Loaf of Goodness|