This past weekend, my husband celebrated his birthday. My kids wanted to make something special for his fifty something birthday. One of his favorite eats is Banana Ice Cream. So the kids and I decided we would make him some. I started searching and reviewing various recipes and ran across one by my favorite former TV chef Alton Brown. This is a super easy recipe to make. No cooking is required. You just process everything together in a food processor. Start with 6 ripe bananas and lemon juice. You smell the sweet aroma of the bananas as you are processing them with the lemon juice. Heavenly:) Corn syrup and heavy cream are then added. Chill and then freeze in your ice cream maker. You will notice the recipe calls for a vanilla bean. I didn't have any so I substituted 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
The result was a very creamy, rich, and flavorful ice cream. Homemade Banana Ice Cream was a hit with the hubby. The kids were very proud of their culinary skills:)
Banana Ice Cream
From Alton Brown
Special Equipment: Ice Cream Maker
6 (approximately 2 1/4 pounds) ripe bananas
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1. Place bananas in freezer and freeze overnight.
2. Remove bananas from freezer and allow to thaw for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Peel bananas and place in bowl of food processor along with lemon juice. Process for 10 to 15 seconds.
5. Slowly pour in the heavy cream. Process until smooth.
|Banana Ice Cream Mixture|
7. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
8. Place mixture in an airtight container and freeze for 3 to 6 hours before serving.
Makes about 1 quart
|Creamy and Rich Banana Ice Cream|