Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Candied Ginger


Candied Ginger
I was going to bake and I needed some Candied Ginger.  I rushed out to the store to get some.  When I was searching for it at tin the Spice area, I was shocked when I saw how much a little jar cost.  No way am I going to pay that!  I did a quick search on my smart phone -  a wonderful invention and did a search for a Candied Ginger recipe.  Found one:)  I purchased the ingredient - ginger root.  Went home and began to make the recipe.
Making your own Candied Ginger is extremely easy and it takes only three ingredients -ginger root, sugar and water.  Start by peeling the ginger root.  I used a spoon to peel mine - an idea I got from "Cook's Illustrated" website.    Then you slice the ginger root very thin.  I used my mandoline, which has been getting a lot of use lately.  Boil the ginger root in water until it is tender. Drain, and cook with sugar and ginger cooking liquid until the sugar begins to recrystallize.  Spread the ginger root on a wire rack to cool completely. When dried store in an airtight container.  That is all there is to  it.  You now have about a pound of Candied Ginger to use in your cooking and/or baking.
Note: I saved my cooking liquid and made a ginger syrup out of it for future cooking projects. Also, save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack.

Candied Ginger
From Alton Brown


Ingredients:

Nonstick spray
1 pound fresh ginger root
5 cups water
Approximately 1 pound granulated sugar


Directions:

1. Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment.
2. Peel the ginger root and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline.  Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat.  Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the ginger is tender.



3. Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.  Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar.


4. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid to the pan and add the sugar.  Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

5. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20 minutes.
Add caption
6. Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces.  Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Makes about 1 pound




















2 comments: