Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Chicken Basquaise

Chicken Basquaise
Chicken Basquaise is chicken and peppers.   Red Peppers, green peppers and mild chile peppers.  Add some onions, tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings and you have prepared your piperade.  Next comes the chicken.  Dorie  stated to use 8 pieces of chicken with the skin on.  I used skinless chicken breasts so they did not brown as nicely as the picture in the cookbook. The chicken and the piperade are then simmered gently for 40 minutes.  The chicken is served with plain white rice.

The dish wasn't bad but not one of my favorites.  I was hoping the chicken would have more flavor than it did.  Perhaps it was because I  used skinless chicken breasts.  I may try the recipe again.

This recipe can be found on pages 210-211 in "Around My French Table."


Red and Green Peppers

Onions



Cooking the Piperade

Chicken Basquaise












13 comments:

  1. I used skinless legs and it was quite flavorful, I think the wine and spicy chili make the difference. It looks good! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I love breasts, I would recommend trying this with the thighs. They really held the flavor well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. The next time I am going to make it with thighs.

      Delete
  3. I think thighs or legs really help the flavour of this dish. We used skin-on thighs and just discarded the skin before eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next time I make the dish, I am going to use thighs. Thank you for your suggestion:-)

      Delete
  4. Geraldine, looks like you prepared a very nice and colorful Mediterranean dish - too bad it did not turn out to be as flavorful as you had expected it to be, but I agree with Teresa, might be just the difference of using thighs.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sprig of thyme on top was the perfect touch.
    Sorry this wasn't a huge hit for you. It looks pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dish looks delicious…I’m going to have to play catch up on this one! Sorry it lacked flavor for you. It does look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dish, Geri! My chicken was lacking flavor, too, but I blamed the oversized breasts I got at the market. But I adored the peppers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you didn't love this one. I really enjoyed it. Yours looks beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can always rub the chicken withh salt and espelette :) great job though!

    ReplyDelete