Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Eggplant "Tartine" With Tomatoes, Olives, and Cucumbers

Eggplant "Tartine" With Tomatoes, Olives, and Cucumber
I am not a fan of eggplant.  So when I found out this week's recipe for French Fridays With Dorie involved eggplant, I was hesitant.  However, I proceeded in making the dish.
The eggplant acts as the bread in this tartine.  You begin by slicing the eggplant into rounds and roasting them in the oven.  Once roasted, they are cooled.  You then top the rounds with a delicious tomato salsa.   Tomatoes are tossed with onions,  celery, garlic, green olives, and capers in a light red wine vinaigrette.  Top the salsa with cucumbers and the Tartine is complete.

This dish did not taste bad - like I said earlier, I'm not an eggplant lover.  However,  the salsa was delicious:)  It was my favorite part of the dish.  I will continue to make the salsa and use it in other recipes.
You can find the recipe for Eggplant "Tartine" With Tomatoes, Olives, and Cucumbers on pages 144-145 in "Around My French Table".




Eggplant Brushed With Olive Oil and Sprinkled With Salt and Pepper

Roasted Eggplant Slices

Tomato Salsa

Eggplant Tartine 



























11 comments:

  1. It's nice to be able to pull out parts of a recipe and apply them elsewhere. Dorie's recipes are especially amenable to that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you kept with the eggplant, and happier that you enjoyed the salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Geri! I didn't think it was the most flavorful preparation for eggplant, but I still enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Geri. The tomato salsa was the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an eggplant fan…so I really enjoyed this one! You are right about the salsa…very delicious! Have a great weekend, Geri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I wrote the same thing in our Post - the salsa was totally tasty. While I liked making and trying this eggplant tartine, I won't make it again. I will make the salsa and will use it in many different ways. Reason enough for making this recipe, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the salsa a lot too - used basil instead (but then again, difficult not to like salsa!). I like eggplant, and did a bit of a test with it. Glad that you stuck with it, though and found what you liked about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geraldine, I really like your presentation with the yellow tomatoes, it looks nice and fresh and summery! We are great aubergine fans and loved this dish, although I played around with the presentation somewhat.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you - not a huge eggplant fan; but I liked the salad for the top.
    The yellow tomatoes added a pretty touch.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do enjoy eggplant, but I know it's something people are seldom lukewarm, it's love or hate, all the way. To me, the topping was the star of this week's recipe. I'll make that again, to go with fish or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually like eggplant. it's in season for such a short time, that we don't tire of it. but I agree that that tomato salsa was a bigger hit for us too.

    ReplyDelete