Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Spice-Poached Apples or Pears

Spice-Poached Pear
I loved this recipe and the family loved it, too.   This recipe is both easy and delicious.    Apples or pears , I used pears, are poached in a delicious spicy syrup. The syrup is made from honey, sugar, water, orange zest, orange juice, lemon zest, lemon juice, star anise, cinnamon, and  a vanilla bean.  You bring the syrup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.  Add your pears or apples and poach in the syrup until you can pierce the fruit with the tip of a knife.  Remove the fruit from the syrup.  Reduce the syrup and pour over the fruit.  Cool  before serving.
You can eat the fruit by itself or pair it with yogurt, cream, or rice pudding to name a few options.  I served my fruit for  dessert  with the syrup.  The fruit was very flavorful and the syrup was delightful.  As I said earlier, everyone loved this dish.  It is one I will be making  a lot in the future.
You can find this recipe on page 396 in "Around My French Table".




Poaching Syrup

Pear Halves 


Pears Poaching
Poached Pear


















16 comments:

  1. A light and refined dessert!
    Have a great weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice when everyone is on board with a dish!
    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pear in process photos are great! This was an easy one to do on a weeknight and it seems like most everyone had good results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photo of the poaching liquid. I think the strands of zest and the whole spices make it look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the curl of your orange peel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not find one thing wrong with this dessert either, Geraldine, it was delicious. I knew I could have dolled it up with a topping of some kind but my friends and I started eating the pear halves and could not stop. You were a bit more clever in how you halved the pears. Very nice. I look forward to trying the apples with this spicy syrup also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I could have followed the recipe...I guess I could have used pears...well, your version looks lovely & I'm glad your family enjoyed them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geri, We really enjoyed this one too! It was nice to have such a nice treat that didn’t take a lot of time to prepare. They look lovely!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a winner for most of us. Such a great combination of flavors! And so easy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed this one, too! I'm always happy for an easy, tasty recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geraldine, very nice pictures of a very lovely dessert - it is nice that you enjoyed this a lot too - wasn´t this a wonderful dish?!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful dessert and your photos are wonderful. This was a winner for almost all the Doristas this week. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you loved it - it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it was nice to make this recipe so early in the fall fruit season, giving us more opportunities to make it again! yours look perfectly poached!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with you - I loved it and so did my family. Not very hard yet I had never poached fruit in spices like this before so it was a fun adventure at the perfect time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Geraldine! Enjoy some spontaneous fruit poaching this Fall! So freeing once we've been trained by Dorie. :)

    ReplyDelete