Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

White Chocolate Raspberry Scones

White Chocolate Raspberry Scone
With college back in full swing, I decided to do some baking.  My daughter, Christie, likes to have something to munch on with her Starbucks between classes.   I found a recipe for Berry Scones in "Tea Time" magazine. The scones looked delicious in the picture, so I decided to try them.   I did not have blueberries, but I had raspberries and white chocolate morsels. With an ingredient substitution of white chocolate morsels for blueberries  I was set to proceed.

This recipe is quite simple - you whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut in some butter and toss in the berries - in my case the white chocolate morsels, and raspberries.  In a smaller bowl you stir together the cream (MMM) and almond extract.  Add the wet ingredients  to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Scoop the batter  in a 1/4 size measuring cup, bake, cool,  and enjoy the scones.

I have tried a lot of recipes for scones but this is my favorite.  The scones were very moist and flavorful.  The almond extract made the difference with the white chocolate/raspberry combination.  The scones were devoured in no time so I made another batch.  I used mini chocolate chips with vanilla extract.  These made it to college the next day (I baked them late at night).  I believe I will get the one scone remaining and save it for my tea break:)


White Chocolate Raspberry Scones
Adapted from Tea Time Magazine

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup white chocolate morsels (fresh blueberries for original recipe)
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well.
4. Grate butter into flour mixture.  Using your fingertips, work butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Add white chocolate morsels and raspberries, tossing to coat with flour.  Set aside.
6.  Add almond extract to cream in a small bowl.  Stir until combined.  Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine.  If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms and is uniformly moist.



7. Using a 1/4 measuring cup or a levered 1/4 cup scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake until edges are golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
9.  Remove from oven and cool.  Store in an airtight container.

Yields 12 scones


Variation: Chocolate Chip Scones:  Substitute 1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips for the white chocolate morsels and raspberries.  Substitute 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract for the almond extract.

























2 comments:

  1. The white chocolate sounds delicious in these scones! And, I love the raspberry color throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine, when I saw this recipe. I just had to take a look - what a great idea adding raspberries to the scones, I love the idea, the look, and the title. "White Chocolate Raspberry Scones" already sounds like a perfect tea time treat!

    ReplyDelete