|Parker House Roll|
PS: Don't you just love those perfect little loafs
Parker House Rolls
From King Arthur Flour
3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup potato flour or 3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 large egg
3 1/2 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted; for brushing on rolls
1. In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients (except the 3 tablespoons melted butter at the end), mixing to form a shaggy dough. Note: To speed the rising process, whisk together the milk and egg, and heat gently just enough to remove the refrigerator chill; then add the remaining ingredients.
2. Knead the dough, by hand ( 10 minutes) or by machine (7 to 8 minutes) until it's smooth.
4. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface. Divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, roll or pat the dough into and 8"x12" rectangle.
5. Brush the dough all over with a light coating of the melted butter. You'll have melted butter left over; save it to brush on top of the baked rolls.
|Dough Rolled into a Rectangle|
|Dough Brushed With Melted Butter|
|Rectangle Cut In Half|
|Cut into Rectangles|
|Patted Down in Pan|
8. Cover the pan, and let the rolls rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until they're puffy but definitely not doubled. Towards the end of the rising time preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're golden brown and feel set.
10. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. Pull them apart to serve.
Yield: 16 rolls