Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fried Pickles

Fried Pickles
As I was planning out what to make for the Super Bowl this Sunday and I ran across a recipe for Fried Pickles.    My family loves to snack on pickles.  I didn't know how fried pickles would go over.  Only one way to find out and that was to make some.  They are surprisingly easy and quick to make.  I cheated and bought a jar of pickle spears instead of cutting my own.  Also, I used my deep fryer and cooked smaller batches than what was stated in the recipe.  To start, you cut the pickles into spears and blot them dry. Dip the pickle spears in some flour, an egg batter, and then coat them with a cornmeal mixture.  Deep fry the pickles at 375 degrees for about 3 minutes or until they are golden brown.  Drain the fried pickles on paper towels and serve with Ranch dressing.  That's all there is to it:)
The result:  To me the taste was interesting.  Wasn't bad -  but not a favorite.  The kids on the other hand loved them.  Tim thought the pickles were awesome.  OK, it is decided, Fried Pickles it is for Super Bowl Sunday.

Fried Pickles
From Family Circle Magazine

Ingredients:
3 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/3  cup plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 jar (32 ounce) dill pickles
Bottled ranch dressing

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a deep pot over medium heat until it registers 370 degrees to 375 degrees on a deep-fat fry thermometer.
2. Mix cornmeal, 1/3 cup of the flour, the pepper, cayenne and salt in a large resealable plastic bag.

3. Whisk milk and egg together in a medium bowl.

4. Cut pickles into spears (about 8 per pickle).  Blot dry on paper towels and toss in a bowl with remaining 1/2 cup flour.



5. Dip 8 to 10 spears in egg mixture, then add to bag with cornmeal mixture.  Shake to coat pickles.  Spread spears onto a rack and continue with all spears ( in batches of 8 to 10).





6. Fry one batch of pickles for 3 minutes until golden.  Transfer to a paper towel and repeat with all batches, returning oil to 375 degrees before adding each batch.  Serve with ranch dressing.

Makes 16 servings













4 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE fried pickles, so I will definitely have to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet these would be a hit at any Super Bowl party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about fried pickles but have never seen them before. Don't think they'd fly at my house, but know my dad would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love fried pickles and your recipe sounds awesome! Can't wait to try :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete