Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Matcha Latte

Matcha Latte
This is a wonderful and refreshing hot drink.  A great change from my normal morning hot tea or coffee. Matcha is a fine powder green tea that has wonderful health benefits.  It has a high concentration of the antioxidant EGCG. Matcha also boosts your metabolism and it reduces cholesterol levels when it is drunk on a regular basis.  These health benefits are derived because the whole tea leaf is ingested.  This means it delivers a higher potency of catechins, chlorophyll, and antioxidants.  I knew tea was good for you:)  I bought my Matcha powder at Whole Foods but you can find it at Japanese markets.
This latte is a super easy  and quick drink  to make.  You heat almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, or cow's milk ( I used almond milk), and water. Then whisk the liquids into a mug containing  the matcha powder.  Sweeten with Agave syrup (nectar) and you have a very tasty antioxidant drink.

Matcha Lattee
From Bon Appetit


3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, or cow's milk
1 teaspoon matcha powder
Agave syrup (nectar)


1. Bring almond milk to a bare simmer in a small pot over medium-high heat.
2. Place matcha powder in a heatproof cup.  Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup boiling water, then almond milk, tipping cup slightly to help create more foam.  Sweeten with agave syrup and serve.

Makes 1 serving

Matcha Powder


  1. Oh Yum! This looks and sounds so good! Perfect for our very cold weather!

  2. This sounds fantastic, I've never used...let alone heard of Matcha before. But, I love green tea so I'm sure I'll love this. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have to try!

    Happy Valley Chow

  3. I love matcha in anything! This latte sounds wonderful.

  4. I'm going to have to branch out beyond my hot tea!!!