Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Brown-Sugar Squash and Brussels Sprouts en Papillote

Brown-Sugar Squash and Brussels Sprouts en Papillote
This week in French Fridays With Dorie we made Brown-Sugar Squash and Brussels Sprouts en Papillote.    May I say this dish was delicious.  Even the kids who are not big fans of squash ate a packet.  This dish is very easy and quick to prepare.  Cubed butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and an apple are tossed is some olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.  You then divided the veggies and fruit on pieces of nonstick foil.  I didn't have any so I just sprayed some regular foil with cooking spray.   Once you have divided the veggies, you sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar over each bundle.  Put a sage leaf on top and seal the packets.  The packets are put on a baking sheet and baked for 25 minutes.  When you open the packets, this aromatic air puff is released.  The taste of the sweet apples and butternut squash complimented the nuttiness of the Brussels sprouts.   I placed my veggies and fruit on a plate, but the kids ate them directly from the packets.  They said it reminded them of camping when we make foil dinners.
For me this recipe is a keeper.  You can find this recipe on pate 352 in "Around My French Table."


Veggies and Apple Tossed With Olive Oil

Placed on Foil






Ready to Eat

14 comments:

  1. Geraldine, how wonderful that the kids really enjoyed the Brussels sprouts, squash and apple "en papilotte". I am not surprised though because your presentation is very pretty and colorful and I am sure it was just delicious! Wasn´t the aroma that escaped from the packages after they were opened amazing?!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful easy dish…and delicious too! Two of my favorite veggies...butternut squash and Brussels sprouts! Loved this one! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the whole gang enjoyed these! My kids seemed to have inherited their dad's pickiness...though the oldest is coming around :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad this recipe was a keeper. We loved this one in our house too. And it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice when your picky eaters surprise you. I liked this combination of vegetables, though I think I prefer them roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing!

    SIncerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's impressive that it was a hit with everyone. My partner isn't a fan of squash, but he enjoyed the Brussels sprouts - I loved it all. Yours looks very pretty on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to have a "friendly" dish like this - and it's such a pretty one too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish had such great color and flavor - I always think things taste better when they're colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little packets did bring back camping memories. I'm glad you and the kids enjoyed this one. I think it is such a great way to get them to eat brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was delighted this was so quick and easy. And perhaps because it was nice to stay in my comfort zone for a week- liver, cellophane noodles- I am looking at you :) I look forward to playing around with this technique and other combos- once again Dorie provided inspiration as well as a new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had forgotten all about those 'tin foil dinners' we used to have as kids on camping trips! That memory was so fun to have again....and it reminded me that even though so many of us prefer stuff like this roasted this method IS good for those days when you are running the grill outside. We frequetly will do the rotisseri chicken thing all year round and these can just be tossed in there freeing me from running back to the oven to shake the veggies all the time. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you liked this one! We thought it was great too. It would have been like camping had we used foil. What nice memories!

    ReplyDelete