Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Julia's Best Banana Bread

Julia's Best Banana Bread
Banana bread is a favorite at my house.  Eating it plain, with butter or to make PB&J's  - it is always good.  I have a recipe I make but when I saw this one for Julia's banana bread I had to try it.  As you can see from the recipe, it is very easy to make. There are no spices just the flavor of the bananas.  You start by whisking together flour, baking soda, and salt.  In another bowl you whisk together eggs, sugar, bananas, and vegetable oil. Pout the batter in a pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.  I had to put foil over my bread because it browned so quickly.  This is due to the browning effect of baking soda.  You can read more about the effect here.
The  bread had a nice sweet banana flavor and was very moist.  It  also had a nice crust to it.

Julia's Best Banana Bread
From Bon Appetit


Ingredients:
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Coat a  9x5x3- inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.


3. Whisk eggs, sugar, bananas, and oil in a large bowl until smooth.  Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and stir just until combined.  Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.

















4. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of bread comes out clean, 60-70 minutes.

5. Transfer to a wire rack; let bread cool in pan for 15 minutes.  Run a knife around inside of pan to release the bread.  Turn out onto rack and let cool completely.


Makes 1 loaf

Do Ahead:  Banana bread can be made 3 days ahead.  Store airtight at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. My favourite too! This looks perfectly moist and dense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love banana bread. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I made it and felt like I could taste the islands! It is a dream of mine to go to Julia's shack someday, but for now I'm just going to keep making this banana bread :) Check out my loaf here: http://cannella-vita.blogspot.com/2013/03/julias-banana-bread.html#

    ReplyDelete