|Spiced Pumpkin Bread|
Start by combing the sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Next you mix in the eggs and pumpkin. In another large bowl, you whisk together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Then stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour and spice mixture. You may add walnuts to the bread batter if you wish. I did. I like nuts in my quick breads. Next you pour the batter into two buttered and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool the bread completely before serving.
This bread freezes well. You can save it for holiday time or just enjoy with your family at a later date:)
Spiced Pumpkin Bread
From Bon Appetit - November 1995
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
2. Beat sugar and oil in a large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Set aside.
3. Whisk flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder together in another large bowl.
4. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts, if desired.
5. Divide batter equally between the prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
6. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.
Makes 2 loaves