Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Chewy Molasses Cookies

Chewy Molasses Cookies
Indescribably delicious:)  I have never tasted such a chewy moist cookie with ever so slightly crispy edges.  I have seen Molasses Cookies in the stores and I never thought to try them.  However, in looking through my latest issue of "Bon Appetit," I found an easy recipe for these delicious cookies and I decided why not make some.

For these cookies you don't need a mixer.  The mixing is done by hand.  You have two bowls of ingredients - dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and salt.  Wet ingredients - egg, melted butter, sugars, molasses.  Then you just mix  the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and you are ready to start baking the cookies.

A tablespoon of dough is  rolled into a ball.  The ball is then rolled in sanding sugar or raw sugar.  The balls are placed 2" apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Rotate baking sheets  halfway through baking.  Do not over bake these cookies.  Once they are baked transfer to a wire rack and let them cool.


Chewy Molasses Cookies
From Bon Appetit

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large  egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup mild-flavored (light) or robust-flavored (dark) molasses
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
Coarse sanding or raw sugar (for rolling)

Directions:

1. Place racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 375 degrees F.  Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk egg, butter, granulated sugar, molasses, and brown sugar in a medium bowl.  Mix in dry ingredients just to combine.
2. Place sanding sugar in a shallow bowl.  Scoop out dough by the tablespoonful and roll into balls (if dough is sticky, chill 20 minutes).  Roll in sugar and place on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2" apart.
3. Bake cookies, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until cookies are puffed, cracked, and just set around edges (over-baked cookies won't be chewy), 8-10 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks and let cool.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen



3 comments:

  1. I can't even remember the last time I had Molasses Cookies, Geraldine. These sound so easy. I bet they are yummy too!!! Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love molasses cookies…they have always been one of my favorites! Lovely! I received your card today…Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Molasses cookies are delicious. I received your lovely card in the mail. Thanks.

      Delete