I have seen recipes for Spumoni cookies before but this one was a nice simple, drop cookie with little clean up required. Begin by whisking together some melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add an egg, one egg yolk and almond and vanilla extracts. To this mixture fold in flour, baking powder, and salt. Next add some chocolate chips, pistachios and dried cherries.
The recipe instructs you to make 1/4 cup balls of the dough. I found this to be too large and I prefer more bite sized cookies. I dropped the cookies by tablespoonful and spaced them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. For the smaller cookies, I baked them for 10-12 minutes rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking cycle.
Let the cookies cool and enjoy:)
Italian Spumoni Cookies ("Spumookies")
Recipe courtesy Jeff Mauro
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) salted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pistachios
1/2 cup dried cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined. Add in the whole egg, egg yolk and almond and vanilla extracts. Mix until incorporated.
4. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the sugar-egg mixture with a rubber spatula until even. Fold in the chocolate chips, pistachios and cherries.
5. Divide the batter into about 1/4 cup balls and space about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the sheets 180 degrees, switch racks and then bake until slightly golden brown, an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Makes 14 large cookies
Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen smaller cookies
|Packed and Ready for Kids to Take|