Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Creamy Millet Porridge

Creamy Millet Porridge

Today's recipe is a Millet Porridge.  Millet is a cereal crop or grain that is very nutritious.  Millet Porridge is  eaten in Russia, Germany, and China.  The Russians and Germans eat their millet sweet while the Chinese eat it with squash, beans, or sweet potatoes.  It is a great stick-to-the-ribs breakfast.   I have never made millet porridge before so I gave it a try.    I cooked the millet according to the directions I found in the following recipe.  I topped my millet with butter, maple syrup, and some dried fruits and nuts.   The taste was chewy and slightly sweet.  It was very good.  In fact, I was surprised on how good it was.     This is definitely and healthy delicious breakfast that sticks with you.  You don't feel hungry after a couple of hours.




Creamy Millet Porridge
From Family Circle Magazine

Ingredients:

1 cup millet
2 cups milk
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Process millet in a food processor until about half of it has a flour-like texture, approximately 1 minute.

Millet Ready To process
2. In a medium lidded pot, combine millet, milk, 1 cup water, brown sugar and salt.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until mixture reaches a porridge-like consistency.  If too much liquid has evaporated, stir in more water, if desired.
3. Serve immediately.  If desired serve with jam, cream, additional brown sugar or butter.

Makes 4 servings












2 comments:

  1. I love any kind of porridge for breakfast, Geraldine. Although, I must admit, I haven't had millet porridge in years!!! Thanks for sharing, Geraldine...Thanks for sending that New Mexico Sunshine our way!!! The sun is actually shining today for more than 3 minutes, lol...

    ReplyDelete