|Crunchy Pecan-Banana Coffee Cake Muffins|
Good is the essential word for my kids. Sometimes when I have made muffins with too healthy ingredients they thought the were eating wood. Bran and whole wheat flour are not well received by my kids in muffins.
In looking over this recipe, I felt I would be safe in making them. The streusel topping has one of my favorites - pure maple syrup mixed with some flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, canola oil and Great Grains Crunch Pecan cereal. The batter is very thick. You need to spoon it into the muffin cups. Once you have spooned in the batter the topping is sprinkled and lightly pressed into the batter. The muffins are ready for the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes and take them out to cool.
|Nice Moist Slightly Chewy Texture|
Crunchy Pecan-Banana Coffee Cake Muffins
1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
|Pecan Great Grains Cereal|
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
3/4 cup Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal
1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 ripe bananas (14 ounces total), peeled
1 cup plain low fat yogurt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg white
1 1/4 cups Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal
For the streusel:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Toss the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl to blend.
3. Stir in the oil and maple syrup. Stir in the cereal. Set the streusel aside.
For the batter:
1.Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl to blend.
2. Using a fork, coarsely mash the bananas in a large bowl.
3. Stir in the yogurt, oil, and egg white.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture and stir just until blended.
5. Stir in the cereal. The batter will be thick.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
7. Sprinkle the streusel over, gently pressing it into the top of the batter.
|Ready for Oven|
9. Cool 5 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack.
10. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on the rack.
|Out of Oven and Cooling|
Makes 12 muffins