Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Cucumber Salad

Cucumber Salad
 A Cucumber Salad is a refreshing and easy salad to put together.  It takes just a few ingredients - a cucumber, vinegar, salt, olive oil, and a few spices.  In this recipe, I added a little chopped red bell pepper to add some color and a sweet flavor.   I prefer to use English cucumber when making my cucumber salads.  They do not have the bitter flavor some other cucumber have and seeds are smaller - I don't worry about seeding the cucumbers for my salads.  In this recipe I added some fresh minced ginger and red pepper flakes to kick up the flavor a bit.  I omit the red onions because the family is not fond of them.   Once I have sliced up the cucumbers and add the red peppers I toss them in a dressing made of of rice vinegar, olive oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt, and sugar.  I put the salad in the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving.

This salad has a nice crunch to it and the dressing adds a nice slightly sweet spicy flavor to the cucumbers This salad is  healthy and inexpensive to make.



Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:

1 English cucumber
2 Tablespoons diced red bell pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Directions:

1. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and slice into 1/2- inch pieces crosswise. Add  the diced red pepper.  Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice vinegar, minced ginger, salt, red pepper flakes, and sugar.
3. Pour dressing over the cucumbers and red bell pepper.  Toss well until the veggies are well coated.  Put in an airtight container and chill for 30 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 servings






No comments:

Post a Comment