This was by far the simplest cake I have ever made and the taste was delicious. The hardest thing is making the batter and that isn't that hard. Once you have the batter made you pour it into a greased baking dish and bake the cake for about 40 minutes. When the cake is a golden brown
remove it from the oven and let it cool. My cake got a little too brown, but it was still good:) Cut and serve the cake with a dusting of powdered sugar. Top with a blackberry, strawberry slice, blueberry, raspberry, or leave it plain. Cut and voila - there are your three delicious layers. The first is like a light pie crust, the second the delicious custard, and the third the cake layer. My favorite was the creamy custard middle layer. Wow - it was good.
Try this cake. It is great when you need something quick, easy, and inexpensive to make for your family, pot luck, etc.
From Jo Cooks
|See the Layers|
4 eggs (separate yolks from whites) at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick or ½ cup butter, melted
¾ cup of all purpose flour
2 cups milk lukewarm
Powdered sugar for dusting cake
1. Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Grease a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
2. Separate eggs and add the egg whites to a mixer and mix until egg whites are stiff. Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute or two after which you can add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated.
4. Slowly start adding the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in. Another variation to folding in the egg whites would be to add a third of the egg whites and gently whisk them in to the cake batter, then reverse the process and add a bit of the cake mixture to the egg whites and gently whisk in, repeat until all cake batter has been whisked in.
5. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40 to 70 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. The baking time could vary greatly depending on the oven, so take a peek at around 40 minutes and see how it looks.
6. Sprinkle some powdered sugar after cake has cooled.