A delicious one-pot meal with a slight twist on this traditional dish. Chicken -and- Rice has been a favorite for decades. In this recipe, the rice is a wild rice that has a chewy texture and a nutty flavor. The rice is mixed with a wonderful gravy that is mixed with mushrooms, carrots, ham, and seasoning. The rice and sauce are delicious. I am planning on serving the rice for Thanksgiving. Back to the recipe.
The rice and sauce are placed in the bottom of the skillet and the browned chicken breast are placed on top. Bake the chicken casserole for 30 minutes or until done. Cool and and garnish with some parsley and pecans. I did not have almonds like the recipe called for. Serve. A perfect meal for both company and family.
I hope this meal will become one of your favorites like it is one of mine.
Chicken-And-Wild Rice Skillet Casserole
From "Southern Living" Magazine
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 (6-oz.) container uncooked wild rice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped country ham or bacon
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 large carrot, finely chopped
8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
4 skinned and boned chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb.)
Garnishes: fresh flat-leaf parsley, sliced almonds
1. Bring 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 qt. water to a boil in a 3-qt. saucepan over high heat. Stir in rice, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and next 2 ingredients. Increase heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and black pepper.
3. Cook ham in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until beginning to brown. Stir in onion and next 2 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add sherry, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sherry is evaporated. Remove mixture from skillet.
4. Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet. Cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat 4 minutes on each side or until brown. Remove skillet from heat; transfer chicken to a plate.
5. Drain rice. Stir together rice, ham mixture, and sauce in skillet. Place chicken on top of rice mixture.
6. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and chicken is done. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 Servings