Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Overnight Oatmeal


Wake up and breakfast is ready.  A great start to a great day.  Serve and enjoy and healthy, nutritious, and scrumptious breakfast.  The oatmeal is cooked overnight in a crock pot for  8 hours on the low setting.  So it is best to make this recipe right before you go to bed.

This recipe uses steel cut oats.  They are my favorite.  I love the nutty flavor and the chewy texture.  The oatmeal is mixed with dried fruit - I used dried cherries (the recipe called for dried cranberries) and dried figs.  Stir in some water and half-and-half cover and cook.

I served my oatmeal with some milk and a dash of sugar.  A wonderful way to start the day:)

Overnight Oatmeal
From Alton Brown


Ingredients:

1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried figs
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half

Directions:

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.


Makes 4 servings













4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Does this serve 4 people?

    How does this compare with the same type of oats made in a microwave with similar ingredients (proportioned to account for the different cooking method)? I usually do it in the microwave for 2.5 minutes -- because I never know until just before breakfast if I want oatmeal or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this serves 4 people. I like the texture and the taste of this oatmeal better in the slow cooker. When I make oatmeal in the microwave it usually turns out too soupy or the oats are too chewy.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been planning on making this for sometime. Yours looks luscious! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete