Friday, October 24, 2014
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
There is a crispness in the air. Fall is here and soup weather has started. I love soup. To me, it is a great way to create amazing one pot meals that are both hearty and delicious:) Today's recipe got its' inspiration from the classic comfort dish Chicken Pot Pie.
This soup has the same wonderful flavors of Chicken Pot Pie- carrots, peas, celery, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, and chicken. These ingredients are cooked in a broth consisting of white wine, chicken broth, spices and herbs, and heavy cream. Everything is simmered together and the soup is ladled into bowls and topped with a puff pastry round. Talk about delicious. A very appetizing soup that is hearty and rich.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
4 tablespoons butter
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/3 cup flour
1 quart chicken broth
1 cup white wine
1 medium russet potato peeled and diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut 6 (3- inch) rounds from the puff pastry sheet. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake round for 12 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Keep warm.
2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Cook the mushrooms, celery and diced onions for about 6 minutes. Stir often.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and wine into the vegetable mixture. Add the diced potatoes, salt, thyme leaves, pepper, and rubbed sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except the puff pastry rounds) into the soup. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes until the peas, carrots, and chicken are hot.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with a puff pastry round.
Makes 6 servings