Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Slow Cooker Carne Adovada


Carne Adovada is a favorite New Mexican dish of mine.   Pork that has been cut into chunks cooked in a rich red chili sauce.  Delicious:)    You can eat Carne Adovada with a flour tortilla or corn tortilla, use it as filling for  tacos, burritos or by itself served over rice.


I have never made Carne Adovada in a slow cooker before, so I was delighted when I found a recipe using a slow cooker.  In reading over the recipe, I found some ingredients I haven't used in my traditional recipes.  Soy sauce, brewed coffee, and raisins.  Hmmm - I had to think about that.  I remembered reading somewhere when you are first trying a recipe follow the recipe as instructed.  So I did and  I was very pleased with the outcome.

The result was more than delicious than I could have imagined.  This was the best Carne Adovada I have ever made or eaten.  Being from New Mexico I have eaten alot.   The sauce was rich and thick so it coated the meat perfectly.  The pork was very tender and flavorful.   The lime used in the recipe brought out the flavors in the recipe and added an extra "pop" to the dish.

The family loved this dish.  The first night I served it over rice with a lime wedge for garnish.  The next day I used it in breakfast burritos.  The flavor was actually better the second day.  Try some - it is easy and delicious:)


Slow-Cooker Carne Adovada
From Cook's Country 

Ingredients:

1 (4-to-5 pound) boneless pork butt roast, pulled apart at seams, trimmed, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 onions chopped
1/2 cup chili powder
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (parsley can be used in a pinch)
1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus
1 tablespoon lime juice

Directions:
1. Season pork with salt and pepper. Combine pork and soy sauce in slow cooker.  Combine onions, chili powder, garlic, oil, chipotle, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt in bowl.  Microwave, covered, until onions have softened and mixture is fragrant, about 7 minutes, stirring halfway through microwaving.
2. Puree broth, coffee, flour, raisins, and onion mixture in blender until smooth, about 1 minute.  Stir sauce into slow cooker, then scrape down any sauce from side of cooker with rubber spatula.  Cover and cook until pork is tender, 5 to 6 hours on high or 6 to 7 hours on low.
3. Turn off slow cooker, let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
Stir in cilantro and lime zest and juice.  Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken slightly.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve.

Serves 6 to 8





3 comments:

  1. Geraldine, this looks absolutely fabulous - I would love to try that recipe and finally pull out that slow cooker again - I have not used it in so long and this looks like the perfect recipe. I had never heard of Carne Adovada before - I love to learn and I could see my family enjoying this with some rice and tortillas and maybe some avocado on the side. Thank you for a wonderful recipe inspiration on this lovely Sunday morning!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a Mexican dish to me...but anything with red chilli sauce must have tasted wonderful. It looks so lovely served over steamed rice.
    Happy Sunday!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing. I love how you have the rice on bottom.

    ReplyDelete