Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tex-Mex Chopped Salad


It was one of those perfect days when the sun was shining bright, but it wasn't  too hot.  There was just a very little breeze in the air.  Hard to believe we are still in winter.  Spring is around the corner though.   A salad would be perfect for lunch on a beautiful day like this.  I chose to make a bright and colorful salad - a Tex-Mex Chopped salad.

This salad has colorful ingredients that are tasty and good for you.  There are some slice green peppers, tomatoes, corn, avocados, pinto beans (the recipe called for black beans, but I substituted pinto beans), lettuce (again, I substituted lettuce for cilantro).  All of these salad fixings are tossed in a tangy lime vinaigrette dressing that is out-of-this world delicious.   I like tang to my  salad dressings.

What is great about this salad if you have picky eaters like I do, the  ingredients are separately placed on individual plates.  If a family member doesn't like say avocados, they do not need to put them in their salad.

I loved the flavors and texture of this salad.  Everything blended together nicely and the lime dressing added a wonderful tangy flavor.  I topped my salad with fresh ground pepper.



Tex-Mex Chopped Salad
From Better Homes & Gardens Magazine Adapted by From My Southwest Kitchen

Ingredients:
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (15-16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used Pinto)
10 ounces frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
2 cups lightly packed cilantro, chopped or 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, halved, pitted, and chopped
1 green sweet pepper, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced

Directions:

1. In a screw-top jar combine lime juice, oil, sugar,  kosher salt, and crushed red pepper.  Shake well to combine.
2. Arrange black (pinto) beans, corn, cilantro (lettuce), tomatoes, avocado, sweet pepper, and green onion on plates.  Drizzle with dressing.

Makes 4 servings








2 comments: