Healthy, quick, easy, and tasty. This describes the Thai Rice Noodle Bowl meal I made the other day for the family. I was surprised how quick and easy this dish came together. Rice noodles are cooked, and drained. While the noodles cook, I sliced up some sweet pepper, grated a carrot, and sliced a cucumber. Then a dressing was made consisting of fish sauce, soy sauce, creamy peanut butter, red pepper flakes, and some rice vinegar. I then grilled up some beef and sliced it thin.
Everything is now combined. The noodles and veggies are put into a bowl and tossed with the dressing. Divide the noodles among four bowls. Top with beef, chopped peanuts, and cilantro leaves. Serve with a lime wedge.
I was pleasantly surprised on how flavorful this dish was. The crispness of the veggies tossed with the noodles was a delicious combination. The lime juice really made the flavors pop. Add some thinly sliced beef to the top and I had a very delicious meal.
Thai Rice Noodle Bowl
From Family Circle Magazine Adapted by From My Southwest Kitchen
7 ounces (half a 14-ounce box) thin stir-fry rice noodles (such as Thai Kitchen)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 seedless cucumber
3/4 pound small chicken breast halves, boneless pork chops or steak
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup sweet pepper strips
1/2 cup grated carrot
3 scallions, trimmed and sliced
1/3 cup cilantro leaves, sliced, plus more for serving
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add noodles, turn off heat and let soak 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, peanut butter, fish sauce, warm water, sugar and red pepper flakes until smooth. Wash, halve and slice cucumber into half-moons.
3. Heat grill pan or broiler. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add 3 tablespoons of the dressing, turning to coat.
4. Place remaining dressing in a small saucepan with cornstarch. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Grill or broil meat 6 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
6. Drain and rinse noodles and transfer to a large bowl. Add sweet pepper, shredded carrot, cucumber, scallions and sliced cilantro. Drizzle dressing into bowl and toss to combine. Divide among 4 bowl. Slice chicken, pork, or beef and divide among bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts. Serve each bowl with a lime wedge.